If you have followed me long enough, you know that Intermittent Fasting has been a part of my daily routine for over a year now. I am constantly researching and learning so that I can be the best personal trainer and health coach possible for you guys.
I thought I would share with you my top 5 reasons why IF has become such a huge part of my life. Honestly, there are tons of reasons, so it was super hard to just pick 5!
- AUTOPHAGY - This is the state that your body goes into when you fast. It's your body's way of detoxifying. Your body literally eats away at all the bad cells in your body. So, when people ask me for a good detox, IF is my #1 answer.
- WEIGHT LOSS - You're obviously consuming less calories, but also while intermittent fasting, your body starts burning fat instead of sugar. YAY!
- REDUCE BELLY FAT - We all accumulate fat in our midsection as we get older. When we fast, specific hormones are activated allowing your body to target stubborn belly fat.
- GROWTH HORMONE - Our growth hormone production decreases as we get older, and fasting helps increase their production up to 5 times! When this happens, there is a reduction in body fat, increased lean muscle mass, and it helps with anti-aging. Growth hormones are known as the fountain of youth.
- LEAN MUSCLE - Fasting helps rev up your metabolism which in return produces more lean muscle.
If you haven't given IF a try, start slow by fasting for 12 hours, and then keep adding an hour until you get to 16-18 hours. The time of day does not matter. Do whatever works best for your schedule.
An example would be: Stop eating at 8:00 pm and don't eat again until 8:00 am the following morning. Then, the next day, add another hour to your fast. Be sure to drink a lot of water and hot tea. (Black coffee is also allowed!)
When you break your fast, be sure to choose good fats, like a handful of nuts (almonds, macadamia, cashews) or egg with an avocado. Fat will give your body the energy you need without spiking your insulin, like carbs would.